Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wednesday #2

Tomorrow, I will be able to write Thursday #3. that means I am that much closer to not being here. I want to thank everyone for all of the kind words of encouragement - I want you to know that I appreciate more than you'll ever know- it's probably the main reason I'm still here. I talked with a fellow student that was telling me that I'm just going through culture shock. So I went and read up on it today and have decided that it isn't culture shock. I don't mind being here. I don't mind the people, the place we live in, or even the dog that barks at us every time we come to or from school. What I do mind is that for some reason, in my head, I had decided when I finished my Master's program that I was done forcing myself to learn in extremely stressful environments - and so now that I'm in this competitive atmosphere, I am so done with it. I contemplated backing out on a week or two of classes and just hanging out at the school on my computer while Drew does his thing. It's kind of one of those random thoughts though that I'll have to ponder upon more. There are just so many teenagers here and all they want to do it compete with one another. It's ridiculous. So anyway, yeah, thank you to those that have written me, I thank you so much!

Since this weekend is fast approaching, and Drew and I have decided to do our own excursions rather than go through the school, I think we aren't going to do anything this weekend. Or rather yet, stay here in Cuernavaca and head up to the market and zocalo, and try to find McDonalds so we can go eat fattening food and ice cream cones. The only places I want to go are Tasco and Acapulco. We have 6 weekends to do things, and 3 will be taken up by those, so that's only 3 more to go, so that's not bad at all. I would have liked to go up to the Mexican Temple, but it's being renovated til October :/

I also decided that this place wouldn't be have bad if I wasn't restricted to time constraints. Like when you go on vacation, you can go and see and do whatever you want, whenever you want, whereas here, it's just going to high school with people you don't understand - I think that's why I hate it. And a bonus today, it's actually a bit chilly in the shade. It's been overcast all day - a first - and I'm enjoying it. Normally by now, I'm all gross sweaty.

I guess that's about it for now.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Hey Maddy, I think your current mindset is a good one. Just try not to think of it as anyone forcing you to be anywhere...it's not like you're trying to get a degree or good grades or anything. Just show up if you feel like it. The worst thing that can happen is that you're wasting a few bucks, big deal. If you hate your classes the whole time, it's a waste anyway, so you might as well do it on your own terms. Just focus on absorbing the culture and having some fun (if possible). Hang in there! :)

Oh, and if you're "done forcing myself to learn in extremely stressful environments," you should probably put off having kids...LOL...