Friday, November 5, 2010

Thankfulness Five

I have an interesting class at school this year.  The kids seem to be extremely high in reading or extremely low..very few in-betweeners.  I sometimes have a hard time associating with the kids who are struggling.  I have never (to my knowledge) ever struggled in any subject.  I didn't do well in calculus in college, but it was because I didn't want to, and didn't put in any effort to try....so in a way, that was probably the one thing that didn't just come to me.  I also didn't pass my reading endorsement test but in my defense, most people don't pass it the 1st time.  I didn't re-take it cause I didn't want to spend another $200...although, I have been rethinking taking it again next summer, just to have it on my resume.

So back to my story, I'm not sure if this goes along with my #2 of my brain love, but I am thankful for the ability to read.  I love reading.  I went on a pretty long reading hiatus while pregnant, and up until about a month ago.  I'm on some medications how that will keep me up for days if I let them, and I've found the only way to get to sleep is to read, so I read for 1-2 hours every night before bed, so that I bore myself into sleepyland.  Otherwise I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed until about 3am. ugh.

I'm currently reading The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau.  It's the 3rd of a 4 book serious for The City of Ember.  What's weird is that 1, 2 and 4 all coincide, but #3 is a prequel to #1.  So I decided to read 1, 2, and 4 before reading 3.  It felt more logical to me.  I had read The City of Ember back when I was doing a student teaching practicum in 3rd grade.  I only read a few chapters to the kids and knew how it ended, but I didn't know how it began.  I watched the movie (which I loved) and decided that I wanted to re-read it, and in so doing, I wanted to read what happened.

I seem to have this thing that if there's a first book of a series I enjoy, I have to read ALL of them.  Otherwise I'd go crazy.  So let's hope Yonwood is good, too. :)

Now I have to decide what I get to read next!
 She's such a good sharer! The owl loved the apple. haha
E really likes to sit in her old booster chair. She also doesn't like to eat breakfast first thing in the morning, and I feel that most mornings I have to force-feed her before heading off to her babysitter's for the day.  Today she decided on a tasty apple!- and of course, we ended up taking it so she'd finish it....most days I end up taking her breakfast with her to finish up there.  boo on early mornings.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Do you let her pick her own clothes?

Maddy said...

she chose her babylegs :)

Her jacket doesn't need to match since it gets taken off when she isn't in the car. :)