Friday, November 12, 2010

Thankful for 12

I know I don't show it at times, and I know I complain at others, but today, I am very thankful for my job.  If push came to shove, we could afford to live on Drew's salary alone.  Things would be tight.  Things would be VERY tight.  I would have to be a little more creative about some things we buy, and lower my standards on others.  We would have to give up the car payment, cable (the very minimal that we have), just little things that make life sweet.  But with having me work, we can afford to buy the things I want to get, like a wonderful BOB stroller, or a Nikon camera.  Sure, it's just stuff, but money comes and goes, and I feel like I work my tail off most days, and I should have some way to prove to myself I'm doing a good job.

Other people might think- well how dare you for putting your child in daycare.  Well, people can think that all they want, and I'm fine with them thinking that way.  But when I think about the things my daughter is getting at someone else's house that I can't give to her (pets, "siblings", overabundance of goats and horses, different toys, etc) sometimes I think, 'how dare I NOT give her the opportunity to expand, grow and get nurtured elsewhere.  I am so very thankful for her current babysitter.  Their family is perfect, and the other little boys that go there love Ellie to death, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Ultimately, I figure that a mom is important in a child's life (as is Dad).  But in reality, as long as they're being nurtured and loved, that "mom" can be anyone.  I am perfectly happy that my little girl loves her babysitter so much that they will cuddle, give hugs, and kisses.  I want my daughter to grow up to have healthy attachments to people, and I just don't see how she could do that if I shelter her in my house every single day. 

I'm also thankful that I get to share some of my time with other people's children.  They are all so unique and such individuals.  I love getting to know new kids, helping them grow and develop.  Watching them start as struggling readers to confident chapter book readers is a wonderful experience.

The people I work with are great.  They, too, have unique personalities, and sometimes we don't always get along, but everyone is willing to work on it, and it's getting better.

(since this picture was taken, they've expanded the driveway to accommodate 2 bus lanes, so it's pushed the grass back a bit)

1 comment:

Michele said...

I NEVER would have imagined your school looked like that. I am proud for you for doing what works for YOU and no one else.