Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

I can't lie, we went to Universal Studios for me, and for me alone.  Drew was an awesome sport about it and found things he was excited to do.  I'm glad I didn't feel like I was dragging him around.  The reason we went there was because during the summer, they opened up a section called The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  It's a tiny little Hogsmead village where you get to experience magic at it's finest.  They do have an Olivander's there when it should really be in Diagon Alley, but I'm not complaining.

To get IN to this section, you have to be one of the first people to enter the park.  OR you can get a "come back in 2 hours" ticket, but these quickly deplete and are gone by noon.  After that, you must wait in line for upwards of 2 hours go get in.  Once you're in, it is packed to the brim.  You are shoulder fighting everyone.  I thought they were joking when they said it had reached capacity.  The shops (Filtch's Emporium, Zonko's, Honeydukes, Olivander's, Derbish and Banges) were all ridiculously crowded.  You seriously had to trade places with others to MOVE.  BUT I still went in and bought a ton of stuff.  I think it was worth it.  Drew stayed outside of Filtch's because that was the worst and it was stressing Ellie out.

At Olivander's, I had been told that a person in your group get's to be "the chosen one" and have a wand choose THEM....well, I had thought this meant in my group as in Drew, Ellie and me....turns out, it's the group of however many people they can shove into the little room for Olivander to do his speech.  I was a little saddened by this.  I still got to choose a wand that people outside of Olivander's/Derbish and Banges didn't get to choose.  I got a wand made of Holly, 15" long and has a core of Centaur tail hair. ;) (we made up the core, cause we're that cool).

We didn't go on any of the 3 rides in there because there was over a 2 hour wait for all of them.  I figure when the hype dies down in a couple years, we'll go back and I can go on the rides :)

The rest of Universal was really fun.  Seussville was really cool - I liked that it was so kid friendly there.  On the other side of the park, they also had quite a few kid friendly activities as well....Barney land, Fival playground, etc.  I think Elisabeth had a really good time on the little amount of sleep she got.


The whole thing was marvelous!! I'm so glad we got to go.




No comments: